Friday 17 January 2014

131 - The Joy of Painting White

Two weeks into the New Year and I feel like it's time to post something. First of all I hope that everyone had a good Christmas and New Year.

I was hoping to be able to post at least one of the finished Manticores, but I've just not had the enthusiasm to paint a lot. I have managed to get some painting done, and here is a little picture update.



Above are the missiles for both tanks, including the Deathstrike missile. I've been painting these up a little at a time when I have the urge. The main thing that has been slowing me down is the white missile tips. Why oh why did I choose to paint these white?! I've been building the coats of GW Ceramite White up pretty thinly so as to avoid brush strokes, but it just takes sooo long. On one set of the missiles I even undercoated the tips grey using my airbrush and it's still a pain! I might have to buy some airbrush suitable white.

Does anyone have any tips for painting white (that won't take me ages!)? In the meantime I might try and crack on with the weathering now that the transfers are done.

Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

Zzzzzz said...

I like the new look blog. Not too keen on having to open each post tot read it but that's not your fault. I always just wondered why blooger thought that people would look a blog and not want to read the whole post ?

Anyway; no, my method of getting solid white is the same as yours; a light grey undercoat and then coats of white until I'm happy.

The pair of them will look fine together.

Mordian7th said...

Dig the new look!

As far as white goes, the best advice I ever got was "never actually use pure white, except for the most extreme of line highlighting". All of my 'white' is in fact ghost grey. It's a very pale grey but compared to the rest of a painted model it certainly ends up looking white. Also has the added advantage that it can still be highlighted up 'one more step' to pure white on corners and such.

Keep up the great work, man!

The Man In A Hat said...

Hey, liking the new look blog. Think the technique depends on the size of the bit you are trying to cover. Ive recently tried to paint yellow and ran into similar problems but found the base coat is the most important one for good final coverage.

Cadian 127th said...

@ Zzzzzz - Cheers for the comment, white is such a pain. Not sure if I can get the blog to show a bit more of each post but I've now worked out how to add new links to the picture slideshow.

@ Mordian7th - I might have to try that. I've got a couple of different grey's to work with.

@ The Man In A Hat - It seems to be a bit easier with an airbrushed basecoat.

Thanks for the comments - it seems like the new blog design is going down well :)

Cadian 127th said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Copyright © 2012 Cadian 127th Regiment All Right Reserved