Ride of the Valkyrie, Finale - Valkyrie 72 "Sword"
Valkyrie - 72 "Sword"
The Valkyrie is finally complete! (And there was much rejoicing!)
This project is done, and it really has taken some time. There was one little addition to the Valk before completion, and that was a magnetised flying stand. I drilled out the holes on the section that is meant to be glued onto the bottom of the Valkyrie. I then glued a magnet into each of the 4 holes. Once the glue had dried, I placed another magnet onto the ones that are already in place. I then added a drop of super glue to the magnets and placed them onto the underside of the Valk and left them to dry. And once they were dry the flying stand can be fitted and removed to aid in transportation. I also painted the magnets in Iyunden Darksun with a Skull White highlight and a wash of Gryphonne Sepia. With a coat of gloss varnish, they now look like landing lights! I have however forgotten to take a pic of the underneath - oops!
So without any further blabbering from me, here are some pics of the finished article:
Here is the Valk loaded out with Hunter Killer missiles and Lascannon, and my preferred blue lens sensor. The drybrush of Bleached Bone did help to tone down the paint chipping, and the matt varnish helped to get rid of the shininess of some of the transfers. Thanks go out to The Antipope for noting these problems.
And with the help of magnets, I change the loadout to Missile Pods and MultiLaser with a different sensor. If you haven't tried using magnets, I do recommend it. The results really are worth the effort.
A few pics showing the door gunners, ready to lay waste to any one foolish enough to take a shot at the Valk as she skims the tree tops.
I've put this of the Missile Pods in as I hadn't shown them finished. The tips of the missiles was painted using Blazing Orange. A wash of Badad Black was applied before the whole pod got sealed with matt varnish.
The flying support itself was glued onto the base and then I used greenstuff to add some strength to the stand. The whole base then got a couple of coats of Graveyard Earth. I then covered the base in PVA glue and added modelling flock. I also added a few patches of static grass. The trees are fromRiko Scenice Accessories, I think, and were intended to hide the flying support a little bit. Here are a few pics showing the flying base without the Valk attached.
And so the Valkyrie is finished and now I must move onto another project, hopefully one a bit less time consuming. Thanks for reading and please leave comments etc if you want. Cheers!
P.S. The Valk got the name "Sword" partly because of the transfer on the nose, and partly as I plan to have 5 of these bad boys and they'll be named after the Normandy D-Day landing beaches: Sword, Gold, Juno, Omaha and Utah